What Was It Like Before?







What was it like before the Afghanistan war in 2001? 

I remember driving through the military base as though it was part of our neighborhood. 
N. New Braunfels street was the quickest way to get to the other side. Now that entrance has been blocked ever since. We have to go about three to five miles out of our way to reach what was just a two-block ride previously due to the high-security alert.

I remember we heard so many trains going by constantly because military tanks and other supplies were being sent out quickly. It was a constant deafening sound because I lived by the tracks. The only break I had from that blaring horn was when I went to work.

It seems like so long ago that we would drive through the base and visit historical museums. I used to go walking with my boys at the Quadrangle. The place where they kept Geronimo imprisoned. No one would think anything for us to drive in. It was a carefree life that I so do miss.

What was it like before the Feb 21, 2018, Florida shooting? Although we had the Columbine shooting, it seemed that this one incident compounded with many others just puts the whole nation on alert. 

Just the other day, my youngest son needed a ride to work. He works for a Military Academy. He is an after school care counselor who watches over the kids. I would drive in and out of this campus whenever I pleased.

Before we turned the corner my son warned me, "Mom, the lady cop is weird." I said, "What? They have police personnel now at the gates? " He stated, "Yes, mom since the Florida shooting, now they posted a policeman at the gates. The establishment always had a security guard but they never carried a gun. 

I have to tell you that as I drove off my heart was so heavy with sadness to the point of tears. Children were playing soccer on the field at the time. I realized they may one day reminisce, "Remember, what it was like before?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why can't I shake things off?

Miracles Would Abound!

Teacher Tip: Get It Together