Born to Teach


      
       When I was ten years old, I would stay at my grandma's house after school. I remember those days when I would be in her musty-smelling living room setting up my makeshift classroom. I'd set up a desk and a chair for my students. Who were my students? Why of course, my "primas". My cousins would listen to me lecture or we would make up plays that we could perform. Well, I was also the drama teacher. Now that I think about it maybe I should have entered the Theater as a profession. I don't think so. I was always teaching something. The thrill has never left.

      Even to this day, if I have to prepare for my elementary students, I start looking through Teacher Pay Teachers, YouTube, or Pinterest for ideas. I'll be surfing for hours to see how I can present a lesson or make an experiment happen.

      Thirty-five years of teaching have passed and I still get a high when planning a lesson. The only thing slowing me down is my body. After carrying this body, it is taking its toll. But I'm not giving up. That's why I went to "Plan B". 

      Plan B is teaching online. I began doing an Online Biology class around ten years back. You can see some of the students I taught from across the nation. I knew then that the trend would be mainly online learning. 

See all my classes at Teacher Pat

        I didn't really pursue this as much as I should but occasionally there are people who inquire about this from the homeschool sector.

      However, I decided to work for a company online teaching English to children in China. I have now been doing this for two years. One of the reasons was that I know I cannot continue moving locally like I do. I am coming to a point where I'm slowing down. But I just didn't want to stop my passion for teaching.
      


      You know you were born to teach when you wake up on a Sunday morning and look at your phone and get a notification. It states you have two "short notice" students booked for tonight. I excitedly get up and look over the curriculum. Then eagerly select the materials needed for the class. All the props are now ready for me to teach. For me that thrill never gets old. 

      I know I was born to teach!

2023 Update: I am still teaching at 62 years. It is my lifeline. I now am tutoring online with Outschool. I tutor Physical Science, Biology, Advanced Biology, and General Science.

If you are interested in teaching online, check out my referral links for VIPKid and Outschool at:
https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=2500516&refersourceid=a01
https://outschool.com/teach?signup=true&usid=rspaLDxJ&utm_campaign=share_invite_link&teacherReferral=true

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why can't I shake things off?

Miracles Would Abound!

Teacher Tip: Get It Together