Kdrama Lover

So happens a couple of years back I became a Kdrama lover. Yep, they are so enjoyable to watch. I began this love due to the fact that my daughter-in-law (who I fondly feel is a daughter), who is half Korean and half Guamanian (from Guam). I think I may never have discovered Kdramas, kimchi and rice cakes. Oh, I love red bean rice cakes.

Back to the Kdramas. They move my whole being. I was sharing with my son the other day at the dinner table that they make me "feel" again. For many years, I didn't want to feel anything. Life can be overwhelming at times and I learned to shield myself by numbing my thoughts.

What I mean is I just began to NOT feel because if I did it would hurt too much. Not that I have a horrible life. As a matter of fact, I am blessed. I have a loving husband and four great sons who really haven't caused me much grief. Oh, they are not perfect but they really are good guys inside and out.

Two years back when I began watching my first Kdrama was during the Joseon era. I fell in love with the kings and queens attire and palaces. But after viewing over 50 Kdramas now, boy, those queens were mean. Yep, it's all about power. The politics in those days so remind me of the Democrats and the Republicans of our age.

Then I began to watch more current day Kdramas. Angel Eyes will be one of those that I will watch again one day if I really need a good cry. OMG! I tell everyone that, that one is a four Kleenex box drama. Almost every episode just emotionally drains you.

The teen dramas are good, too. Boys over Flowers and Scandal were great.

One of my most favorite is Fated to Love You. Now that had so many twists and turns. My heart would soar and fall with each new episode. I am presently watching All About Marriage. I cannot stop. I think I'm overdoing this one though. I was thinking to myself, "Now Pat, you really need to cool off with these dramas." My husband even agrees that I should look forward to each on instead of watching so many in one day.

I justify my all day viewing with intermittent household chores. I watch one hour, I wash dishes the next. I watch one hour, I work on lesson plans the next. I watch one hour, I run errands for a couple of hours. I have to do this or I just sit there.

I know this isn't good for my health. Sitting and laying on the bed viewing them isn't good. But I love them, because they make me FEEL.

So you think, why does she need this to feel? Again, it's been hard to do for years. As a matter of fact there were years I couldn't cry. I would bottle stuff up inside. Of course, that's not good. However, I did.

I am now fifty-five and feeling more alive than I ever have. Not due to the Kdramas only, but now it's easier for me. Four sons have grown up. I too have grown up through life experiences.

I am happy now that I can release what I feel now and explain in words what I feel to my husband.

I will continue watching Kdramas but in moderation. Hey, it's improved my eyesight and reading speed. I've even began reading books again.

I'm not saying this is for everyone. Reading subtitles is tedious at times and I do need to give my eyes a break.

Find something that will help you FEEL again if you can't. Don't bottle things up inside. Life is too short to not experience it daily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why can't I shake things off?

Miracles Would Abound!

Teacher Tip: Get It Together